Most women and many men will have a yeast infection sometime during their lives. For some, reoccurring yeast infections can cause them to be miserable and even interfere with normal daily activities. Finding some yeast infection remedies that actually work is essential to these people, as getting some relief for this condition allows them to get back to their normal lives and to feel healthy again.
Symptoms of Yeast Infections
There are many symptoms that are associated with yeast infections. These symptoms include:
- vaginal itching
- white discharge that may look like cottage cheese and may be accompanied by a distinct and unpleasant smell
- burning during urination
- painful intercourse
- yeast infections may also appear as a finger or toenail fungus
The first thing you should do if you suspect a yeast infection is see your doctor. While more than likely what you have is a yeast infection there are other conditions that have similar symptoms and you need to be sure what you have is indeed a yeast infection and not a more serious condition that may need different treatment.
Once you have determined that what you are experiencing is indeed a yeast infection then there are many natural treatments that can effectively treat this condition without the side effects that over the counter or prescription medications can cause. These natural yeast infection remedies often work faster and better than prescribed medications. Here are some natural remedies that have been found highly effective, and can provide almost instant relief for those suffering from yeast infection.
Yeast Infection Remedies
- Probably the best yeast infection treatment of all is plain cultured yogurt. Using yogurt as a two way treatment can relieve your yeast infection symptoms quickly and clear up the infection in just days. Eating yogurt two or three times a day will add good bacteria to your system which helps to fight the yeast infection internally. In addition, soaking a tampon in yogurt and inserting it for 10 to 15 minutes twice a day will attack the infection right at it’s source and provide instant relief from the burning and itching this infection causes.
- Another proven remedy for yeast infections is drinking a glass of buttermilk twice a day. This too helps fight the infection internally.
- Another helpful remedy that kills the yeast infection and prevents it from spreading is to dilute vinegar and garlic in warm water and use it for an external wash. This not only helps prevent the spread of your yeast infection, but will also relieve the itching. You can also use this on all areas where hives appear and even as a soak for nail fungus caused by the yeast infection.
- Grapefruit extract has also been proven effective in helping to cure yeast infections quickly. Just put 3 to 4 drops of grapefruit extract in a glass of water and drink it three times a day. Putting some extract on a tampon and inserting it for a few minutes twice a day will help cure that yeast infection as well.
- Another way of using a tampon to cure a yeast infection is to dilute some tea tree oil with olive oil and lightly spray a tampon with the mixture and insert overnight. Keep in mind however, that you must dilute the tea tree oil with olive oil as the strength of tea tree oil alone could actually cause more irritation.
- A tasty way to treat that yeast infection is with cinnamon. Cinnamon laced tea or cinnamon toast eaten during a yeast infection can help cure your yeast infection quickly.
- Because yeast feeds on sugar, it is best to avoid or cut down on sugary foods and drinks during a yeast infection. Cutting out sugar from your diet altogether can help prevent yeast infections from coming back.
- Because most yeast infections are related to a weak immune system eating healthier and taking supplements that will strengthen your immune system will also help to fight off that yeast infection and keep new infections from occurring. While improving your immune system through diet will take some time, you can use this all natural method with any of the other remedies to help prevent future infections once the other remedies have done their job.
Using natural yeast infection remedies to cure that painful and embarrassing yeast infection is one of the best ways to naturally finding your way to better health. These remedies usually work well, and can provide instant relief from pain and itching and can even get rid of the problem altogether.